Parish Church of:
Bude or Bude Haven was formed into a parish
on August 10th 1836, The church of St. Michael and All Angels
is a building of stone in the Early English style, erected
from designs by Mr. Wightwick, at sole cost of the late Sir
Thos. Dyke Ackland bart. who also endowed it: it was
consecrated September 29th, 1835, and enlarged in 1876, and
consists of chancel, nave , transepts, north porch and a
western belfry containing a clock and 2 bells; in 1892 the
church was re-seated; and there are now sittings for 340
persons; in the churchyard are buried a portion of the crew
of the "Bencoolen" wrecked in this harbour, October 21,
1862; the ships figurehead has been set up as a memorial.
The registers date from the year 1836.