Parish Church of:
in Doomsday Lan-Dines (the church of the hill).
The church of St. Dennis, situated on a conical hill, in the
midst of an old entrenchment, near the gorse moors, and
protected on the north by a plantation of firs, was rebuilt
in 1847 and is a plain but substantial building of native
porcelain stone, rectangular in plan, with a semi-hexagonal
roof and an embattled western tower of two stages, with
short pinnacles and containing 3 bells, of which the treble
and tenor are dated 1651 and 1738; the second bell is dated
1167: near the south porch is an ancient granite cross,
about six feet high: the porch, which has been modernised,
and the tower, are all that remains of the old church, which
consisted of two aisles and a north transept, and contained
a reputed Saxon font: the arcade, removed to Nanpean, in the
parish of St. Stephen's in Brannell, in 1847, has been
incorporated in a new church at that place. St Dennis
churchyard was enclosed by a wall in 1826, its boundary
having previously been marked by a trench only: there are
340 sittings. The register dates from 1687.
N.B. Suffered fire damage in the early 1980's.