Parish Church of:
The church, said to named after St Helie, a canonized Welsh sovereign, is a building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles with modern additions; it was restored in 1867 at a cost of £1,600, and consists of chancel, with south or "Kestell", aisle, and organ chamber on the north side, nave of four bays, south aisle, north transept, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower 82 feet high, with crocketed pinnacles and containing a clock and 6 bells, recast by Rudhall of Gloucester, in 1756; the dripstone of the entrance to the tower, is ornamental with figures of angels bearing shields, one displaying the device of John Lovybond, c. 1461-75, and the other the presumed arms of the Kestell family; the south porch retains a holy water stoup; the font, of Norman date, consists of a square basin, with rudely arcaded sides, supported on a massive cylindrical base and on small shafts at the angles; it also bears an inscription now illegible; the
stone pulpit of Perpendicular date has been enlarged and exhibits some curious details; in the tower are the remains of a monument to the Kestell family, originally erected in the Kestell aisle in 1581 by John Kestell, of Trevegon, and bearing dates from 1520 to 1578; three of the compartments are filled with inscriptions and the fourth has a shield of arms, and above is a quartered shield with crest and mantling under an arch; a fifth compartment is lost; there are also memorials to Sir John Molesworth bart. ob. June 1723, and Jane (Arscott), his wife, ob. May 1719, and their family; to Barbara (Morice), wife of Sir John Molesworth bart, ob. 17 Apr. 1735; and to Sir Arscott Ourry Molesworth bart. ob. 23 Dec. 1823: in the tower are monuments to the Rev. Henry Peers M.A. vicar, 1761-93, and to John Consett Peers, capt RN, ob. 11 Nov. 1798, and to the King and Carstairs families; on the external walls of the church, as well as in the churchyard, are many other
memorials; in the churchyard stand the upper portions of two ancient crosses: there are 340 sittings. The register dates from the year 1600.