Parish Church of:
Surrounded with drifts of sand, which sometimes have been known to rise as high as the roof, is an edifice of stone, originally cruciform, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle of three bays, extending along the whole of the chancel, and incorporating the former south transept, north transept, south porch and a tower of two stages at the north end of the north transept, with octagonal broach spire, and containing one bell, recovered from the wreck of the “Immaculate” of Barletta, s seaport of South Italy, which was lost on the rocks at Greenway, Sept. 27, 1875; the lower portion of the Perpendicular chancel screen remains; and has been restored and redecorated in colour and gold; on the south side of the chancel is a piscine, and on the north an aumbry, now a credence, a circular bowl of Catacluse stone, found in the tower, and probably a stoup, is used as an alms box: there is a Norman font, and one window is
stained: the ancient silver chalice with cover, belonging to the chapel, and dating from the 16th century, is now in the possession of Mr. John Mably, farmer of Trebotherick; the structure, at one time unroofed and dismantled, was effectively restored in 1863, under the direction of Mr. J.P. St. Aubyn, at a cost of £675: in the churchyard, which contains tombs and memorials to the Mably and other families, including one of debased character with two effigies rudely executed to John Mably, bur. 24 July. 1687, and Alice his wife, bur. 30 July in the same year, is an ancient granite cross about 5 feet high, with a circular head, which has been restored at the cost of Francis J Hext, esq. D.L., J.P. of Tredethy: the drifting sands are now becoming permanently fixed by the rapid growth of the arundo arenaria, or sand rush.