Parish Church of:
The church of St. Eval or Uval, is an ancient building chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north transept, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, in the Perpendicular style, containing 5 bells, tow of which were re-cast in 1892 at a cost of £77, by Mr William Aggett, of Chagford: the tower, having fallen down, was rebuilt in 1727 at an expense of £400, partly raised by subscription among the Bristol merchant, to whose shipping its served as a land-mark before the erection in 1847 of the Trevose lighthouse: there are remains of a hagioscope and rood loft, and a curious small arch between the first and second bays of the main arcade, probably over a founder's tomb: there are monuments to the family of Leach, 1672-1709; William Trevithick M.A. 1692-3, and Charity his wife, 1688, besides some modern memorials: the church was completely restored in 1889 under the care of Mr John D. Sedding,
architect, of London, at a cost of £1, 071, £400 of which was given by J.G. Williams esq, of St. Austell: the bells have been re-hung, the flooring re-laid and the aisle passage re-paved; a new communion table erected and the church re-seated; the ancient bench ends, some of which date from the 15th century and bear the emblems of the Passion, the royal arms of Henry VI, and other subjects, being carefully preserved: during the alterations a window of presumed Saxon date was discovered in the north wall: over the south porch is a sundial inscribed "We shall Die All"; there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1695.