Parish Church of:
The church of St. Fimbarrus is a noble edifice of Pentewan stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, erected in 1350, and containing a clock and 8 bells, two of which were added in 1877 at a cost of £240: the stained east window, a memorial to the Meredith family, was designed by Dr. Drake,a descendant of Sir Francis Drake, the famous navigator: the stained west window was given by Mrs Stopford-Sackville, of Point Neptune, in memory of her father, William Rashleigh esq, sometime M.P. for East Cornwall: a stained window, filled with nautical subjects , was placed in 1876 as a memorial to the late Admiral Purcell and his son Commander Purcell R.N. by the family , and there are others stained windows: the reredos was presented by the present vicar, as a memorial to his wife: there is also a slab bearing the effigy in brass of a man in civil costume, probably of the Treffry
family, the figures of his wife and several children, with the inscription being lost; on another slab is a brass effigy of a man in a long furred robe, above his head tow shields of the arms of Rashleigh, and below figures of six girls; the effigies of his wife and other children are missing; and only a fragment of the marginal inscription remains; the slab has been inscribed at a later date to Robert Rashleigh, gent, of Combe ob. 27 September 1708; on a slab adjoining this is a brass effigy and an inscription to Alice (Lanyon) wife of John Rashleigh esq. ob. 20 August, 1591, and to her husband ob. August 10, 1582; at the head was a shield of arms, now missing; there are also several fine monuments to the Treffry and Rashleigh families, which have been restored by Dr. Drake, and one with effigy in marble to John Johns esq: the east end of the north aisle, said to date from 1336; originally formed a chapel; the nave has a good wagon roof of oak, supported on
corbels, adorned with figures of angels holding shields, exhibiting the emblazoned arms of the founders of and benefactors of the church, painted by Dr. Drake; the carved pulpit dates from 1601; the south porch is rib-vaulted in stone and has an upper storey, used a muniment room; the church was restored in 1876 at a cost of £4,976, when a new organ was erected, but this instrument was replaced by another in 1892 at a cost of £500; there are 950 sittings The register of baptisms dates from the year 1543; marriages 1568; burials 1603.