Parish Church of:
The church of St. Gluvias, standing on the border of the estuary of Falmouth harbour, is an edifice of stone, and, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in the last century in a Modern Classic style; it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, an additional south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with turret, containing 6 bells, all cast in 1808: there are monumental tablets to the families of Pendarves and Roskrow, 1643-1857; memorials to John Grills, merchant, ob. 1673; Henry Carveth, ob. 1684, and others of the 17th century; and in the south aisle a brass with effigies and inscription to Thomas kyllygrewe, gent, circa 1484, and Joan and Elziabeth , his wives; there are also a number of monuments of modern date; the church was thoroughly restored in 1883; at a cost of £3,500, and is now chiefly in the Perpendicular style; the galleries have been removed, the interior entirely reseated, a new roof fixed, and the bells rehung; the chancel was
also rebuilt, the tower thoroughly repaired, and new buttresses and porch erected on the south side of the church; the stained east window is a memorial to Louisa, wife of the late Archdeacon Phillpotts, and the west window to the late Major F.O. Griffin R.A.: the organ was rebuilt in 1891, at the sole cost of Mrs Enys: in 1890 a memorial was erected in the church to the Venerable W.J. Phillpotts M.A. archdeacon of Cornwall and vicar of the parish with S. Budock, 1845-89; this consist of an eloborate embellishment of the eastern wall of the chancel in opus sectile or opaque glass mosaic work, the whole of the space above and around the eastern window being divided for this purpose into traceried panels: above the window is the figure of Our Lord seated in glory with angels holding trumpets, on each side of the window are full-length figures of the four greater prophets and the four evangelists bearing scrolls with their names; the whole designed by J.P. St. Aubyn
esq, and executed by Messrs Powell, together with the accompanying tablet, cost over £200; the side light in the chancel was filled with coloured glass as a memorial by children of the late archdeacon; there are sittings for 900 persons. The register dates from the year 1645.