Parish Church of:
The church of St. Goran, erected in the 16th century, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel and nave, unitedly of eight bays, south aisle extending along both, north transept, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with four pinnacles, built in 1606, and containing 6 bells, all cast in 1772, one of which is broken; there are two piscinae: the aisle and the nave retain some good benches with well carved ends, many of them bearing initials: there is an ancient monument in the nave to Richard Edgcumbe, of Bodruggan esq. ob. 1655, and a brass to William Algernon Slade-Gully M.A. d. 1870, with other modern memorials; some once existing here to the Trevanions have now disappeared: there are two stained windows and some fragments of old glass in the aisle: in the chancel stands a curious oak chair, elaborately carved at the back with the figure of a man and various emblems: the tower is a well known sea mark and is a
conspicuous object for many miles round: a new roof was erected in 1870, from designs by J.P. St. Aubyn esq, and in 1875 the body of the church was restored by the same architect: there are 365 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1661: marriages 1668.