Parish Church of:
The church of St, Gulval is a building of granite, mainly of the 16th century, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept with organ chamber on the east side, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 6 bells, hung in 1889 by subscription as a memorial of the 50th year of the incumbency of the present vicar: the chancel retains a piscina and credence and there is a curious monument, erected in 1627, to the Davills family: all the windows but one are stained: in 1858 the church was re-seated and partially restored at a cost of £600: in 1885, during the rebuilding of the east wall of the chancel, the upper portion of an Anglo Saxon cross of Early date was discovered built into it; this, together with fragments of a cross of later date, found buried in the churchyard, is now (1893) placed west of the porch; in 1891-2 the church was new-roofed throughout, the 13th century north transept rebuilt as a memorial to
members of the Bolitho family, and a north aisle and organ chamber added, from designs by Mr J.P. St. Aubyn, architect, and the church was reopened by the Bishop of Truro, 10 Oct, 1892; further improvements, including the re-flooring and decoration of the chancel, are now (1893) being carried out; during the last two years £5,000 has been expended on the church,, which now affords 420 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1599; marriages and burials 1593. All the registers, from their commencement down to 1812, are now in print.
The mission church of All Saints at Trythall, is a building of granite, erected in 1885 from designs by J.P. St. Aubyn esq. and consists of chancel, nave, porch and vestry: the font and pulpit are very fine, the later being of alabaster with pillars of green marble; the east window is stained; there are 120 sittings.