Parish Church of:
The church of St. Elwyn or Elvinus, erected in 1886-8, at a cost, including fittings, of £4,500, is a building of elvan stone and Breage granite, in the Early English and Decorated styles, from designs by Mr J.D. Sedding, architect, of London, and consists of chancel,, with vestry and organ chamber, and a north chapel, clerestoried nave, south porch, and an embattled tower on the north side 79 feet in height: the chancel, a memorial to the late Rev. W. Hockin, rector of Phillack, and Margaret, his wife, is inclosed on the west by a screen of Bath and Polyphant stone, erected at the cost of Mrs. Charles Vawdrey and Miss Vawdrey, in memory of their parents: the communion table was presented by George Vawdrey esq,; and the wrought iron enclosure of the sacrarium by Mr W. Tredinnick: in the north chapel is a lectern, wrought and presented by J.W. Wilson esq, C.E.; that in the nave, of brass work, was given by Mrs John Vivian and Mrs Young: the organ erected by
subscription in 1875, at a cost of £200, for the temporary church of St. John has been enlarged and improved, partly by the subscriptions of the choir; the Perpendicular font was contributed by the members of the female Bible class: in 1892 several stained windows were inserted at the east end to the late W.J. Rawlings esq, of Downes House, Hayle: the arcades, designed to some extent after that of Lostwithiel, is of two stages, the lower being square, and the upper octagonal; with angle buttresses, embattled parapet and slated roof; attached is a projecting stair turret; and at the top of the lower stage a balcony, affording an extensive view of the surrounding scenery; the first floor of the tower gives access to the north chapel, and on the second is a musicians' gallery, looking into the church: there are sittings for 400 persons. The registers of St. Elwyn begin in 1888; before that date they are included in those of Phillack.