Parish Church of:
The church of St. Helena is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle of four bays, extending along the whole of the chancel and part of the nave, south porch and a low western tower with pyramidal roof, containing 8 bells, added in 1888, at a cost of £400, on the rebuilding of the tower; on the north side of the nave is a sort of transept, built by the Rev. Francis J. Hext B.A., rector (1817-42), to serve as a school: the aisle has a priests doorway; the windows in this aisle retain some ancient glass, including the arms of Giffard and Raleigh, and sacred monograms; the font is a plain circular work of granite, set in the south wall; in the chancel is a memorial to the Rev. Francis John Hext M.A., rector, d. Jan 22, 1842; and one with partially effaced inscription to Roger Squire M.A. rector (1602-32), and there are some modern memorials to the Kempthorne and Hooper families; in the south aisle is a floor
slab, incised with the figure of a man in a long sleeved gown, and inscribed to Humfrey, son and heir of Thomas Calwodley, ob. 16th Century; on each side the head of the figures are the shields of Caldwodley and Carminow, representing his marriage with Joan Carminow in 1493-4; the church plate consists of a modern chalice and paten of silver, given by the Rev. F.J. Hext; the church affords 175 sittings. The register dates from the year 1722.