Parish Church of:
Formely called HELLESTON (the "fortress on the marsh")
Formed Dec. 5th, 1845 from the Parish of Wendron.
The church of St Michael is a large rectangular building of Elvan stone, with granite dressings, erected in 1763 by Francis, second and last Earl of Godolphin, who died 17th January 1766, and consists of chancel and nave with galleries on three sides, south porch and a western tower 96 feet in height, built of granite ashlar, in three stages, and terminating in a quatre-foiled parapet with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, all recast in 1825 from a former peal given by Francis, Earl of Godolphin, in 1767, who was also the donor, in 1763, of the massive chandilier; the handsome reredos of glass mosaic was presented by J. Rogers Pascoe esq. of London and the font of Beere stone and serpentine by persons who had been baptized in the church; attached to the door of the south porch are brass effigies of a man and his wife and three children, and on the wall above is a brass plate inscribed to Thomas Bovgins, merchant, ob. 1602: there are memorials to the Glynn and Grylls
families, 1771-1834; to those of Moore, 1782-1806; Borlase, 1837-43; Trevenen, 1810-38; Pasmore, 1837-62, and others; the stained east window was a bequest by George Simon Borlase, who died 19th March, 1837, and there is a memorial window to Thomas George Davey, who died in South Africa 1889; the organ was erected in 1868 at a cost of £500; the church has been thoroughly restored and re-seated, and has 900 sittings; in the churchyard is a sun-dial raised on a pillar of granite, with the town arms and the date 1792; an ancient cross is built into the wall at the entrance, and the head of another was placed in 1893 on the grave of the late Frederick Penberthy, opposite the tower door. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from 1599; burials, 1598.
A mission church, of stone , with granite facings, adjoining the cemetery in Meneage street, was erected in 1882, at a cost of £806, principally given by the Trevenen family; it consists of chancel, and nave, and will seat 120 persons and is served from St. Michael's.