Parish Church of:
The church of St. Ya, or Ia, is a fine old building of granite, erected in the early part of the 15th century, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of seven arches, south chapel called the Trenwith aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower, 84 feet in height, with loft pinnacles resting on angels, and containing a clock and 2 bells, cast in 1830: the tower was restored and re-pointed at a cost of £90 in 1872: in 1853-4 the church was repaired and re-seated at an expense of £900, and the chancel restored by the late Nathaniel Pyne esq. an agent of the Earl of Mornington: the curious font of granite was also restored at the same time by J.N. Tremearne esq. at a cost of £30; on its base are four figures of demons, and on the bowl are four other figures representing angels: in 1859 the church was entirely repaved at a cost of £150, defrayed by the late Robert Hichens esq. of London, and in 1887-9 it was new roofed at an
outlay of £500: the eagle lectern copied from that in Wantage church, Berkshire, was presented in 1866 by the Rev. J.B. Jones, M.A. the present vicar: the east window is a memorial to members of the family of Stephens, of Tregenna, 1804-35, and there are also memorials to the families of Hichens, 1835-64, Yonge, 1888 and Tremearne 1889: at the east end of the the Trenwith aisle is a slate slab, in which have been reset the fragments of brass to Otho Trenwyth esq. ob. 1462-3, and Agnes, his wife; these now include only the kneeling effigy of Dame Agnes and a small figure of St. Michael, bearing a shield with an irradiated cross and vanquishing the dragon; over the head of the saint is a scroll with the invocation, "Sanete Micaell ora pronobis" and below the figures an inscription; here is also a brass to the orginal members of the St. Ives Artillery Corps; there are monuments to the Sise family, 1642, and others of more modern date to the families of Stephens,
1729-1852; Hichens 1770-1851; Hocking, 1800-49; and others; the church will seat 600 persons. The churchyard , which is near the sea, is defended from the waves by a strong and high wall. In the churchyard is an unusually fine cross with a flattened octagonal shaft and a square panelled head carved with a crucifix, over which is a crowned head representing the first person of the Trinity and other subjects; it was discovered in the churchyard in 1832, and is 10 feet 6 inches in height and in in 1852 was re-erected on a new base by Robert Hichens, esq. The register dates from the year 1686.
In connection with the parish church there is a mariners chapel, which has a mission district assigned to it.