Parish Church of:
Just in Penwith, St
The church of St. Just is a fine building of granite and free stone, in the Later Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, battlemented south porch, vestry and embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 3 bells; in a recess in the north wall of the chancel is a curious old incised slab bearing on one side the inscription "SILVS HC JACET", and on the upper side an incised "labarum" or sacred monogram, of vary ancient date; built into the wall of the north aisle is an ancient cross found in the old chapel at Cape Cornwall, about a mile and a half west: the large chandeliers were given by John Edwards, of Truthwall, in 1746; there are memorials to the families of Millett, Chenhalls and others, and memorial windows to Own Boyle, light keeper of Longship lighthouse, who lost his life on the 25th October, 1877, to Stephen Harvey James sen, 1870, and to Stephen Harvey James, jun, d. 1887: the chancel was rebuilt in
1834, and the church restored in 1865 under the direction of J.P. St. Aubyn esq. at a cost of £2,000, and has sittings for 500 persons: the communion plate consists of gifts by various donors from 1666 to 1747: a burial ground formed from land purchased of Major Pascoe R.A. was opened April 12th, 1829, and another, the gift of the late Rev. William Hodgson, was completed in 1890 by the erection of a stone wall, and consecrated by Dr Wilkinson, late bishop of Truro. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1630; marriages and burials, 1599.
On the isthnus which unites the bold headland called "Cape Cornwall" with the adjoining hill are the remains of an ancient chapel, known as "St Helen's Oratory", and there are ruins of another on Carn Brea.