Parish Church of:
Just in Roseland, St
The church of St. Just, dedicated August 14th, 1261, and situated in a deep valley close to the water's edge, is an ancient building of stone, with granite facings and columns, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with aisle of two bays, nave of five bays, south aisle, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 3 bells, the first two dating from 1849 and the tenor from 1684; the beams of the roof are illuminated with appropriate Scripture texts, carved by the late Rev. C.W. Carlyon, and the bosses at the intersections bear the emblazoned shields of the local landowners: in the south aisle is a memorial window to Lieut. W. James R.N. d.. 1846.: the rood stairs remain: a brass effigy of a priest vested, c. 1520, for many years preserved in the vestry, has since 1872 been affixed to a screen; there is a memorial to May (Frind), wife of Joshua Thomas, of Nanshutell, gent, and many others of modern date: the
church was thoroughly restored in 1872, and has 350 sittings: the churchyard has two lynch gates. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1540; marriages and burials, 1538.