Parish Church of:
The church of St. Kewa, situated in a valley, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles with eastern chapels, south porch and a fine embattled western tower, with crocketed pinnacles, containing 6 bells, recast in 1818 by Rudhall of Gloucester, from a previous peal of 4, since which the 3rd and tenor have been again recast; the chancel, which has been extended so as to enclose the eastern bay of the nave, retains a piscina and credence, and a priests' doorway: the east window if the north chapel contains ancient glass, including scenes from the life of Christ, the royal arms of the Tudors, and those of the Kingdon and Carminowe families: in the north aisle is a newel staircase formerly leading to the rood loft: both windows in the south chapel contain old glass, including a shield of the arms of Arundell, and in the south wall is a piscina: the memorials in the church comprise a stone with arms and
inscription to Thomas Treffry, esq. ob. 28th Jan. 1590, and a number of other members of his family to 1775; and there are some others (some bearing arms) to Honor (Calwodley), wife of John Webber, ob. 6th October, 1601; John Cavell esq, ob. 10th January, 1602; Thomas Hutton B.D. vicar (1606-40), ob. 20th December, 1639-40; Robert Bellmain, M.A. vicar (1640), ob. April 1640, and Philippa (Hutton) his wife,ob. February 1640: in the south chapel is a slate slab of the 16th century, with a large incised cross and a mutilated inscription in Latin to William Carnsuysuwe, and another with the date 1634, and there are many modern monuments; the communion plate includes a chalice with cover of silver gilt, dating from 1578, a chalice given by Mary Nicholls, who died 19 Jan. 1723; silver gilt flagon given by Elizabeth Nicholls in 1729; silver gilt paten given by the same in 1732; and silver gilt alms dish, given by Mrs Mary Webber, who died 19th October, 1763: on the
exterior, south wall is a sun dial: the church has been restored and re-seated in oak, and a chancel screen of oak erected at a cost of £2,000; there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1564.
In the 14th century there was a chapel in the churchyard, kept in repair by the prior of Plympton, and in the parish was also another chapel, dedicated to St. Wenne, the site of which is uncertain; no traces of either now exist.