Parish Church of:
The church of St Lanty or St Winwallow, supposed to have been connected with the Abbey of Landevenock in Britany, is a building of mixed serpentine and granite, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north aisle, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with four crocketed pinnacles, containing 3 bells, dedicated respectively to SS. Anna, Nicholas and Mary Magdalene: in the transept is a hagioscope, with lepers' window: piscina are found both in the chancel and transept: the south entrance is Norman, with chevron moulding, and is 9 feet in height: the porch is groined in stone: the font, of syenite, was made c. 1404, by Richard Bolham, a former rector: there are four stained windows, one of which, known as the lepers' window, is a memorial to Philip Vyvyan-Robinson esq, a former patron : in 1860 the church was restored and re-seated with open benches affording 200 sittings. The register of baptisms
dates from the year 1578; marriages, 1654; burials, 1653.
The name Lizard is supposed to be derived from "Lezard" or "Lazar", the old term for Leper; great numbers of persons afflicted with this terrible disease formerly lived here, this peninsula being chosen for their residence on account of its isolated position.