Parish Church of:
The church of St. Sativola and St. Welvela or SS. Sidwell and Gulval, is an ancient building of granite in the Perpendicular style, erected in 1436, and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, small north transept, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells: there are remains of ancient stained glass, a great portion of a screen: the chancel retains a piscina and credence: many of the bench ends are carved and bear the emblems of the Crucifixion: the screen work of the tower dates from 1846-8: in the church are memorials to John Squier, 169-, and Gertrude his wife, ob. 1697, and to the late Professor J.C. Adams LL.D., M.A.; the ancient font has a square basin with carved heads at the corners; in the nave are kept the old parish stocks; the church was restored in 1850, and has 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1700.
In a meadow, in a secluded glen below the church, is a well called "The Wishing Well" and known also as "the Jordan", its water being used for baptismal purposes; the well is contained in a rectangular building with a gabled roof and an arched entrance on the south side.
The late Professor John Couch Adams LL.D. , M.A. of St John's College, Cambridge F.R.A.S. the discoverer of the planet Neptune, was born at Lidcot farm, in this parish 5 June , 1819.