Parish Church of:
The church of St Hydrock is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 6 bells, hung in 1888, in place of a single and very ancient bell; there is a window at the east end, erected by Nevil Norway esq. as a memorial to his wife, Judith Catherine Norway, d. 1848: a slate tablet, with long inscriptions in Latin and English , commemorates George Carminow, ob. 1599, and Jane (Lower) his wife, ob. 1609; above are the arms of Carminow, with crest and supporters, and the Cornish motto, "Cala Rag Whethlow" (a straw for a tale-bearer); there are other memorials to Thomas Trenance, ob. 1596, and Joan his wife; and Lady Essex Specott, ob. 1689, and a variety of modern monuments: in 1888 the church was thoroughly restored, at the sole cost of Lord Robartes; the roof, seats and fittings throughout are of oak, in a modern Perpendicular style: the stained east
window was presented by the tenantry of the estate and beneath it is a splendidly carved reredos of alabaster and Cornwall Serpentine marble, representing the "Lord's Supper:" there are 120 sittings; in the churchyard is an ancient and elegant cross, about 8 feet high, with incised shaft, and a bold Maltese cross for the head. The register dates from the year 1561.