Parish Church of:
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a western embattled tower, 64 feet high, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, of which 1,3,4 and 5 were cast in 1751, the second in 1826 and the tenor in 1872: the arcades are of granite, and there is an altar-piece of polished marble and oaks seats with finely carved ends; the figures represent the different events if the Crucifuxion: there is also an elaborate altar-tomb, with recumbent effigy in armour and numerous shields, to Sir John Chamond kt. ob. 1624, and monuments to the Speccott, Spoure and other families; the south porch retains a stoup, and much of the old encaustic tiling remains in the chancel and other parts of the church in a good state of preservation; the most remarkable feature of the church is the circular font, reputed to date from the Saxon period: in the floor of the tower is a tombstone
bearing a curious epitaph: there are 200 sittings. The register of marriages date from the year 1642, the 8 years prior to 1708 being missing'; the register of baptisms dates from 1700 and burials 1708.