Parish Church of:
The church of St. Uny is an ancient building of stone, partly Norman restored or altered in the 13th and 15th centuries: it consists of a chancel, nave, and aisles of equal height, separated by arcades of six arches, south porch and an embattled western tower, 60 feet in height, with pinnacles, and containing 6 bells, all cast in 1836: the rood loft remains in the north aisle, and there are piscina niches in the chancel and south aisle and portions of a stoup in the porch: the original font, of Early English date, has been discovered in a farm yard: the east window is a memorial to William Praed and William Tyringham Praed, 1848, and there are other stained windows in the aisles: in the church are memorials to the family of Praed, 1620-1846; Pawley, 1635-1721; Cundy, 1799-1802, and others: over the entrance of the south porch is an elaborate niche, containing a sun dial: the communion plate is dated 1725, but an old Elizabethan chalice is still in use at
Towednack: the church was thoroughly restored in 1873, at a cost of £2,000, when open benches for 420 persons were substituted for the former pews: the roof was also reconstructed and the chancel decorated and paved: a mortuary chapel and additional land for a burial ground, vested in trustees, were added to the churchyard in 1879. In the churchyard stands a massive cross, 5 feet and 6 inches high and 1 feet 7 inches broad; the round head is boldly carved with a St. Andrew's cross, and a boss in the centre; outside the churchyard wall is another cross, 31/2 feet high and about 1 foot broad, with an oval head, bearing a Maltese cross, and on the reverse a figure of our Lord. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1684; marriages and burials, 1716.