Parish Church of:
The church of St. Knet, in the register of Bishop Lacy (1421-56) called “St. Michael”, and was originally cruciform, is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, with some Norman and Early English remains, and consists of chancel with vestries on the south side, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of three stages, with crocketed pinnacles and a stair turret and containing 5 bells, dated respectively 1834 (2), 1805, and the tenor (cast at Oxford) 1830; the fourth has no date; the church was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower and portions of the chancel, on a new plan furnished by Mr J.P. St. Aubyn, architect in the new year 1865, at a cost of £700; in the new church, the former transept of Norman date do not appear, and the porch has been rebuilt more to the west: the chancel retains a piscine with a square recess above it: an aumbry on the north side of the chancel has been converted into a window, and herein is now set a
small window and altar slab removed from the destroyed north transept: the south doorway, re-set, is Late Perpendicular: the font is octagonal: the communion plate includes a chalice with cover dated 1638, the stem of the former being composed of three intertwined serpents: there are 70 sittings: in the churchyard is a tall granite cross, with a round head carved with a Greek cross: and memorials to Humphry Prowse, ob. May, 1638, Thomas Taylor, ob. May, 1683, bur “before the towre” and Degory, his son, ob. Jan, 1682, and others to the families of Betenson and Pearse. The register of baptisms dates from the 1573; marriages, 1569; burials, 1564.