Parish Church of:
The church of St. Paul is an ancient building of granite, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the columns on the north side of the nave are granite monoliths, and lean outwards: the font is Early English; in this church lies the remains of the Rev. William Borlase L.L.D., F.R.S.. the well known historian and antiquary of this county, who was born at Pendeen, in the parish of St. Just, Feb 2, 1695-6, and was rector of this parish fifty-two years, where he died Aug. 31, 1772, aged 78: in the chancel is a memorial tablet to Robert Davy, of Varfell, in this parish, ob. 1796, and to Grace, his wife, ob. 1826, the parents of Sir Humphry Davy kt. And bart. D.C.L., F.R.S., A.R.A. the distinguished inventor of the safety lamp, and there are other inscriptions to members of this family from 1635: in the north aisle is a curiously carved slab, inscribed with a
quaint epitaph, to John South, a former rector, who died in 1636: the church plate was presented by the 2nd Earl of Godolphin in 1728; there is also a cup with cover, dated 1576; the church was partially restored, re-floored and re-seated with open benches in 1888 at a cost of £800, and has 400 sittings: in the churchyard is a rude cross three feet in height. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1566; marriages and burials 1563.