Parish Church of:
The church of St. Cyriacus and Julietta is an ancient edifice of granite in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turret containing 4 bells, 2 of which however are now useless: there are memorials to Sir John Colman Rashleigh bart, d. Aug. 4, 1847, and Harriett (Williams), his wife, d. July 7, 1831; to Joseph Carveth M.A. d. 1728 and to the families of Eudy or Udy, Polsue and Hicks; the records of the Duchy of Cornwall, kept previous to the Civil War in this church, were at that period removed to Lostwithiel, and there unhappily destroyed: in the centre of the churchyard stands the shaft of a sundial, dated 1687; and on the eastern gate is inscribed “R.S. M.P. 1647:” the chancel, which has been re-floored with tiles reproduced from an ancient example found in the rood loft staircase in 1883, retains a piscine, and has a handsome wood reredos, carved, painted and gilt by the Rev.
J.K. Rashleigh M.A. late vicar (1873-91), who also executed and presented the carved oak lectern: the pulpit of oak, on a granite base, is partly constructed from portions of an ancient screen, formerly in the church of Farningham, Kent, and from carved oak belonging to old Prideaux House; the chairs in the sacrarium date from 1603: there are piscine in the north and south chapels, and the porch, which is vaulted in stone, has a stoup: the font of Pentuan stone, dates from an early period: the church was partially restored , new roofed, re-seated and new floored in 1883 at a cost of £1,500, raised by subscription, the carved work being executed by local artisans: there are 175 sittings. The register dates from the year 1593.