Parish Church of:
The parish of Mabe (Old Eng. “son”) was at one time part of that of Mylor.
The church of St. Mabe, situated on high ground, is an ancient edifice of granite, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells, all cast in 1744: the church retains the rood stairs, an Easter sepulchre, a piscine, and sedilia: the south doorway is Norman, and has a plain square stoup: the church was damaged by lightning on the 4th February, 1866, and was thoroughly restored in 1868, at a cost of about £1,400, of which sum Miss Williams of Falmouth, subscribed £1,000 and William Shilson esq. of Tremough, £100; at the restoration of the church some very interesting groups of figures carved in alabaster were discovered, which are now preserved at the Vicarage: the church plate includes an ancient silver chalice: there are 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1653.