Parish Church of:
The “Macrestone” of Domesday.
The church of St. Macra is a building of stone in the Late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north transept, south porch and an embattled tower, 65 feet high, with crocketed pinnacles and containing 6 bells, re-hung in 1888: the font of Caen stone is a reduced facsimile of the Norman font at Bodmin, and was brought from St Merryn's, the church of which now has the font formerly belonging to the ruined church of St Constantine, near St. Merryn: there are numerous monuments to the Edgcumbe family from 1607 to 1839, and in the churchyard is a granite cross to Ernest Augustus, 3rd Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, d. 3 Sept. 1861, and memorials to the families of Triggs, 1664; Salmon,1682; Ingram, 1669; Boger, and others; the church was restored in 1874 at a cost of £1,700 and will seat 450 persons. The register dates form the year 1630.
On the high road, near the church is a fountain called “St Julian's well”, and on the bank above is an ancient baptistery, which has been restored. The desecrated chapel of St Juliet or Julitta, belonging to the ancient mansion of Inceworth, now a farmhouse, is an elegant and lofty building of the Decorated period, with a sacristy on the north side, used a granary, and under croft now a stable.
The chapel of St Paul at Egloshayle in Kingsand, erected in 1882 as a chapel of ease to Maker, is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave,, north porch and a turret containing one bell; it has two stained windows and sittings for 250 persons.