Parish Church of:
The church of St. Mennaccus and St. Dunstan is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, south transept, north aisle and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells, of which the treble and tenor respectively dated 1712 and 1765, but the second and tenor are both damaged: the stained east window is a memorial to Frances Jane, wife of James Trevenen esq, d. 1860; and their son John Trevenen, commander R.N. d. 1861; there is also a very fine stained window at the east end of the north aisle presented by Pendarves Vivian esq: the north transept retains a piscine, and in the north wall are the rood-loft stairs; the south doorway is a very good example of Early Norman; the monuments are of modern date; on the south side of the tower is a large fig tree, growing out of the church wall, more than a century old, with a trunk 18 inches in diameter; its roots penetrate the thickness of
the wall, and on the occasion of alterations in the church were found to have pushed their way under the seats for a considerable distance; the communion plate, consisting of a covered chalice, two patens and an alms dish date from 1699 to 1737: the church was repaired and enlarged in 1824, when 100 free sittings were added, and again restored in 1888; there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1615.