Parish Church of:
Martin by Looe, St
The church of St. Martin is a large edifice of stone in the Early English style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south transept or Looe aisle, north transept or Treveria aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: there is a fine Norman arch within the north porch, and the font is of the same period; on the south side of the chancel is a marble monument to Walter Langdon esq, of Keveral, ob. 1676, surrounded by a finely carved screen; there are also mural tablets to the family of Nicolas, including Sir Harris Nicolas, the distinguished antiquary, G.C.M.G. , K.H. , d.. 3rd August, 1848, and Admiral John Nicolas K.H., K.C.F., Philippe Malowe gent, 1599; Rev Stephen Medhope, rector, 1636, and many others; in the chancel is a stained window to a late rector, inserted by his widow: in 1882 the tower was re-pointed and faced, a new peal of six bells hung, the church drained all round and the
foundations strengthened; the interior was also partly restored, an organ erected, and a new reredos placed, the later at the expense of the rector and a friend: there are 400 sittings; in 1882 when the church was restored, the churchyard was enlarged by the addition of ¼ of an acre of glebe given by the Rev. Joseph King, M.A., late rector., The register dates from the year 1653 and contains records relating to East Looe.