Parish Church of:
Mawgan in Meneage
The church of St. Mawgan is a building of granite, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, north aisle with shallow transept, south transept or Carminow aisle, south porch and a battlemented western tower with very fine pinnacles and containing 3 bells, dated respectively 1827, 1868 and 1834; there is a stained window in which shields are charged with the arms of Trevelyan and Vincent families; under the east end of the north aisle is the vault of the Vyvyan family; over it is the tomb of Sir Richard Vyvyan knight and bart. ob. 3rd Oct. 1665, whose sword and helmet for many years hung on the ironwork of the tomb, but has been removed to Trelowarren on account of the damp state of the church: in the south transept is a low arched recess, inclosing the recumbent effigies in freestone, of a cross-legged knight and a lady; the knightly figure, from the “bend” on the shield, is assumed to represent a member of the Carminow
family, one of whom, Ralph Carminow, in the reign of Richard II, (1358-8) claimed the arms “azure, a bend or,” against Lords Scrope and Grosvenor: in 1885, on the rebuilding of the wall, a grave four feet deep was met with, forming part of the wall and containing human remains and some relics: the south transept has hagioscope and a blocked low side window; the stained west window is unusually fine and rich; over the porch is placed a sundial, with the date 1695; there are many monuments to the Vyvyan family, baronets 1665-1841, and various others of modern date: the church has 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1678.