Parish Church of:
The church of SS. Mawnan and Stephen is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, but with some features in the north aisle and elsewhere of a date probably as early as the beginning of the 14th century; it consists of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, forming a conspicuous landmark, and containing 3 bells; the first two, dated 1675, were recast in 1888; the tenor is dated 1754; the oak rood screen a work of early date, is painted with figures; the ancient piscine has been replaced; the east window is a memorial to Sir Michael Nowell kt. Sheriff of London, ob. 1802 and Stephen Usticke esq. d. 1823; four other windows are stained, and there is a memorial shield of arms to William Newcourt, ob. 1620; the other monuments are modern; the south door was erected in 1678 and the nave roofed anew in 1684; in 1880 the church was entirely restored and re-seated at a cost of £1,500; during the restoration a stone
coffin lid, bearing traces of a carved cross, were discovered and relaid in the new floor; there are 230 sittings. At the west entrance to the churchyard is an ancient lychgate. The register of baptisms dates form the year 1582; marriages and burials, 1553.
St Michael's chapel of ease at Mawnan Smith was erected in 1874 and has 130 sittings.