Parish Church of:
The church of St. Melanus restored in 1862, is an ancient building in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells; the chancel retains its piscine and there is another in the transept; the latter also contains an elaborate monument to William Coryton esq. ob. 1651, and Elizabeth (Chichester), his wife, ob. 1656, consisting of a canopied arch supported on marble columns, beneath which are effigies of both kneeling at a desk; within the arch is a long inscription and above a shield of arms: against the wall of the north aisle is an original slab with brasses to Peter Coryton esq. ob. 24 March, 1551, and Jane (Tregasoo), his widow, c. 1558; there are effigies of both; the male figure is attired in a hauberk and plate armour, but is bareheaded, and the lady in a triangular headdress and long gown; over the effigies are three quartered
shields and below the figures of 24 children; the whole is surrounded with an inscription on a continuous brass fillet with medallions at the angles bearing figures of animals; above this brass are placed an ancient helmet, a dagger and lances; there is also a monument to Sir William Coryton bart. Ob. 1711 and Susannah (Littleton), his wife ob. 1695, besides a number of modern memorials to the same family; the east window is stained and another on the south side of the chancel is a memorial to the Rev. Granville Coryton,. Late rector, who died in 1876; in the transept is a memorial window to Jemima Coryton, d. 10 Sept. 1853, and Elizabeth Coryton, d. Sept. 1859, presented by Miss Coryton; the church was restored in 1862, at a cost of £1,000, and has 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558.