Parish Church of:
Mylor church and parish take their name from Meilyer (or Melorus), the son of a British prince who embraced Christianity, and was put to death for so doing, on the spot where the church now stand, on August 28th, 411.
The church of St. Mylor or Melorus, originally Norman, and dedicated in 1308, is a building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, transept, south porch, and an embattled turret on the western gable: at some distance from the church stands a detached belfry containing 3 bells, recast in 1888 as a memorial to the late Rev. J,W. Murray, a former vicar, the original dates (1637 and 1634) being repeated; the old bell of Trefusis church dated 1767, has also been presented to this church by Lord Clinton: in the church are memorials to the Trefusis family from 1615 to 1832, and these include a handsome monument with an effigy: there are other memorials to the families of Bonython (1697-1728), Lemon (1728-1868) and Yescombe (1803-26), besides various tablets and inscribed stones: the chancel has a mosaic reredos by Salvati, and there is a richly carved chancel screen: the pulpit is also an elaborate work, and in 1892 a
handsome brass lectern was presented by Mrs Olivey, of Tregew, in memory of her late husband: an ancient piscine, discovered in removing the foundations of the old vicarage house, has been placed on the south side; the font and north and west doorways are Norman: there are 400 sittings. The ancient churchyard cross, discovered during the restoration, has been re-erected near the south porch; it is a monolith of grey granite, 17 feet 6 inches long, with a four holed Greek cross at the head and, as now set up, stands about 11 feet above ground. The register dates form the year 1673.
The Mission church erected at MYLOR BRIDGE erected in 1892, will seat 200 persons;
services are held there by the clergy of Mylor Parish Church
and a lay reader licensed to the parish; the old mission church is used as a Sunday School.
'Kelly's Directory of Cornwall 1893'