Parish Church of:
The church of St. Neot or St Guerier, as it was formerly called, dedicated Oct. 14th, 1321, is a large building of granite, in the Perpendicular style of the 15th century, consisting of chancel, nave of seven bays, aisles, south porch and a fine embattled western tower of earlier date, with pinnacles containing 6 bells, all cast in 1777; the south porch is groined, and has a parviso above: the church possesses an interesting series of stained windows, 17 in number, assigned by Whitaker to the 12th century, but by others to cir, 1480: these were restored in 12824, at the cost of the late Richard Gerveys Grylls esq. then patron of the living, at a cost of £2,000; tow of these illustrate the legends of St. George and St.Neot, and in others are subjects from the Old Testament, the hierarchy of angels and figures of saints: the chancel has also been restored by Lieut.-Col. S.M. Grylls: in 1885 a sum of £600 was expended in interior restoration and part of the old
seats were replaced by oak benches: in 1889a new vestry was added and the whole of the nave re-seated at a cost of £900: in the church is a monument with a history of St. Neot in 32 rhyming couplets, and memorials to William Bere, ob. 1610; the Rev. S. Thomas, 37 years vicar, ob. 1702, and Millicent, his wife, ob. 1705: Thomas Pomery, gent. ob. 1750, and to the family of Dangar, 1820-68; there are 500 sittings. In the churchyard and the adjoining vicarage grounds stand three ancient crosses, and in the parish near the Launceston road, is the famous “Four Hole Cross,” a shaft about 8 feet in height, ornamented with scrolls and interlaced work, with a mutilated head, and two holes only now remaining. The register dates from the year 1549.