Parish Church of:
Newlyn East, St
The church of St Newlyn is a venerable cruciform edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, transepts, south aisle, south porch with parvise and a lofty embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells: beneath the east end of the south aisle is the burial place of the Arundells of Trerice, wherein many of that family are interred: against the wall above is a mural monument of marble to Lady Margaret Arundell, 1691, with a well-executed bust, and the family arms: there are piscine in the chancel and south transept and the rood stairs remain in the north wall: in the chancel are memorial windows to the Rev. James Jenkin Keigwin B.A. a former curate, d. 1829 and Mary Ann (Richards), his wife, d. 1839, and to the Rev. T.H. Britton M.A. vicar there 1856-80; in 1883 the church was completely restored under the direction of Mr D. L. Sedding, architect, at a cost of £2,500, when the chancel was re-floored with marble and
Portland stone, a rood screen of carved oak erected as a memorial of Archbishop Benson's connection with the diocese the interior re-seated with oak benches, and the Norman font renovated and adorned with marble shafts; the church was re-opened Dec, 27, in the same year; a new organ has recently been erected (1893) at a cost of about £250: there are 350 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1560; burials and marriages, 1559.