Parish Church of:
The church of St. Petrock is an interesting building of stone in the Late Decorated style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: there are two piscine, one of which bears a figure of St Petroc, and the rood stairs also remains: the font of Catacluse stone is very curious, and has arcaded sides and sculptured effigies of the 12 apostles: there is a monument to Sir Nicholas Prideaux kt. Ob. 1637, erected by his wife In West Putford church and removed here about the year 1732, and a brass with Latin inscription to Laurence Merther, vicar of Padstow, ob. 19 June, 1421: most of he windows are stained and include memorials to William Rawlings, 50 years vicar: and Richard Tyacke, vicar, 1836; at the west end, connected with the tower, is the vault of the Prideaux-Brune family, surrounded by an embattled wall of masonry, and over the entrance thereto is an old stone cross, discovered in
the grounds of Prideaux Place: the church: the church was restored and richly ornamented at a considerable expense, principally defrayed by Miss Mary Prideaux-Brune, of Prideaux Place, about 1855; in 1888-9, the chancel was completely restored , under the direction of Mr J.D. Sedding, architect, when it was repaved, the sanctuary and vestry enlarged and the communion table and reredos raised, the panels of the latter being filled with paintings by Miss Gertrude Prideaux-Brune; new choir stalls of oak, carved by Mr. H. Hems, of Exeter, and new brass communion rails were erected, and the organ moved from the west end to the north chancel; at the same time the nave seats were lowered and widened; there are 800 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1611; marriages and burials, 1599.