Parish Church of:
Formed Jan. 9th, 1846, from the Parish of St Just in Penwith.
The church of St John the Baptist, erected in 1852 from the designs and under the guidance of the Rev. Robert Aitken, at a cost of about £2,000, the greater part of the work being voluntarily executed by the villagers, is a cruciform building of granite in the Early English style, modelled on the plan of the ancient cathedral of Iona, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: there are 20 windows in the church, all of which are stained: on the north side of the chancel is a handsome marble tablet to the children and grandchildren of the late Rev. Robert Aitken, a former vicar: in 1889, the tower was heightened four feet, to receive a clock with four dials and a bell, at a cost of £230: a memorial brass has been placed in the floor of the chancel with the communion rails to the Rev. Robert Aitken: the church contains 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1849.