Parish Church of:
Penzance - St Mary
Formed March 24, 1871 from the Parish of Madron.
The church, rebuilt in 1834, is a large building of granite in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles and a lofty embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and a fine peal of three bells, hung in 1865: the east window is stained and there are several memorial windows: a handsome serpentine font was placed in the church in 1874, and in 1885 a carved stone reredos was erected to commemorate the jubilee of the church, and was subsequently extended after designs by Mr. Harry Hems, of Exeter; the sculptured figures include the four evangelists, and the angels St. Gabriel and St. Raphael, to who the earlier chapel was dedicated: there are 1,800 sittings. In the churchyard stands a mutilated cross supposed to have been connected with an earlier chapel, and on a pedestal is placed the capstone of the spire of the previous church. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1789; marriages and earlier records
are incorporated with the registers of Madron.