Parish Church of:
The church of SS. Piran and Nicholas, first erected about the middle of the 13th century, originally consisted of chancel, nave, small south transept and south porch; in Tudor times a north aisle was added and an embattled tower with pinnacles erected at the west end, now containing 3 bells, dated respectively 1832, 1636 and 1688; in 1883 the church was rebuilt with the exception of the tower, under the superintendence of Mr. J.P. St Aubyn, and is now chiefly a building of granite, with Ham Hill stone dressings: Perpendicular windows have been inserted, the floors re-laid and open seats substituted for the former pews; the rood stairs still remain in the north wall; the granite font is probably coeval with the first church; there are mural tablets of modern date to members of the Cole family and one to the Rev. William Moore Johnson D.D. 34 years rector of this parish, who died July 19th, 1849: the east window is a memorial to Willoughby John Trevlyan, esq, and
was erected by his widow, and the present rector has also inserted a window in the transept to commemorate his daughter: there are 200 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1562; marriages, 1589.
- Where is Perranuthnoe ? -