Parish Church of:
The ancient name of which was “Pendenhar”, meaning “a barren headland”.
The church of St Germans is a plain building of Pentewan stone and granite, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north transept, south aisle, north porch and a western tower with dwarf spire, containing 3 bells, of which the first bears the hitherto unexplained words or words “DEOPRASIAS”; the other two are dated 1637 and 1723; the chancel retains a piscine, and in the south aisle remain another piscine and rood-loft stairs; the church contains numerous monuments of the 17th century and later dates: there is a fine memorial window to the Rev. Thomas Hunt Ley: the church was restored in 1848 and again by the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe in1885. An additional half acre was added to the churchyard in 1885 by the patron and rector. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1653; marriages , 1661; burials, 1656.
The ancient chapel of St. Michael, licensed for the Dawnay family in 1397 and 1425; it is 22 feet long and 9 wide, and has a vaulted roof.
The chapel of St. Andrew, attached to the parish church, was erected in 1878, and is a building of stone and brick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a bell turret; the chancel was added in 1883; there are sittings form 300 persons.