Parish Church of:
Redruth St Uny
The parish church of St. Uny, erected in 1768, and standing about half a mile from the town, is chiefly a modern building of stone with portions in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower with pinnacles of Henry VII's reign, containing 6 bells; the east window is a memorial to the Rev. J.W. Hawkesley M.A. rector here for more than forty years, erected by the parishioners and friends; the west window is to George Harris and Jane, his wife, and was erected in 1879 by their son, Edwin; the organ was placed in 1882, and in 1878 the interior of the church was renovated throughout at a cost of £1,000, the west gallery removed, the church re-floored and re-seated, the east end raised to form a chancel, the tower arch opened, the bells re-hung and a heating apparatus erected at a cost of £100; a new pulpit, reading desk and lectern were also introduced; the church plate is interesting, and consists of chalice and paten
of uncertain date, two flagons (one of which weighs 80 ounces), the gifts of Thomas Haweis and Anthony Cocke esqrs, and a large paten presented by the Rev. Arthur Spry, a former rector: there are 450 sittings. In 1881 an addition was made to the churchyard of 1 acre of land, given from the glebe by the late rector, and consecrated by Bishop Benson in April, 1881. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1560; marriages, 1652; burials, 1562. The first volume, which contains many interesting entries, is now being published by Mr Vincent of Redruth.
The chapel of ease in Chapel street, was erected in 1828 at a cost of £2,367, chiefly defrayed by the Basset family; it consists of chancel, nave and organ chamber, with south and west galleries; in 1868 a new organ was introduced; and in 1882 the chapel was restored throughout, a chancel constructed and the organ renovated, the whole expense, amounting to £200, being defrayed by subscription; there are 600 sittings.
- Where is Redruth St Uny ? -