Parish Church of:
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of local stone, in the Early Decorated style, of about 1300, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, north aisle, south transept, north and south porches and a western tower with spire containing 2 bells, dated 1693 and 1668; the north transept was removed (about 1520) to make way for a Perpendicular aisle; the tower is slight and has no turret stairs; the spire, having had its top shortened in repairing it, has lost somewhat of its former beauty; in the south transept is a beautiful monument of the latter part of the 14th century, with effigies, representing Sir Edward Courtenay, of Godlington, third son of Hugh, Earl of Devon, and Emmeline, his wife, daughter and heiress of Sir John Dawnay; the canpoy above the tomb is groined and the lower portion is enriched with shields of arms; in the north wall is the effigy of a night, said to represent a brother of Lady Emmeline; the chancel has three stained windows
including the east window, and contains three plain sedilia, a credence and good piscina, and there is another piscina in the transept; the rood loft stairs also remain,; the communion table is of oak; the chancel roof and the walls are decorated with medallions exhibiting scripture subjects: in the church are monuments to John Smith, of Liscawne, gent, 1598, and Jane, his wife, 1595; and to the family of Nicholas Kendall, rector, 1693; the rest are of modern date; some of the Arundells, of Trerice, were buried here one of whom, Walter Arundell, was rector 44 years and was buried in the churchyard, 1629; the chancel was restored in 1851 and the church in 1871 under the direction of the later G.E. Street esq, R.A. and has 200 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1666; marriages, 1670. burials, 1674, but some earlier fragments exist.