Parish Church of:
The church of St. Sampson, anciently appendant to the great manor or franchise of Killialand, now the property of Lady William Compton and Miss Strode, is a building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north transept or Manaton chantry, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the font is carved with grotesque figures of dragons and a representation of the tree of life; the chancel retains its piscina, and there is another in the transept, as well as double -arched Easter sepulchre and hagioscope: the transept contains also a monument with effigy and singular rhyming inscription to Michael Hill, ob. 1663, and an incised stone to John Manaton, ob. 1507, his wife, and others of that family, 1501-28, with shields of arms: the east window is a memorial, erected by his widow, to Rear-Admiral Samuel
Thornton, who drowned at sea, May 16th, 1859, and there are five other memorial windows; in 1888 a tower screen was erected as a memorial to the late rector: the church was restored in 1871 at great expense, and has 200 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1538; marriages, 1566; burials, 1550.