Parish Church of:
The church of St. Paternus is an ancient building of Polyphant stone and granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: the staircase to the rood loft and piscine remain in the south aisle, the doorway of the north porch is Norman, and other Norman remains also exist: the pulpit and desk are constructed out of an ancient screen and some of the antique benches remain: two of the south windows retain heraldic shields, and there are monuments to Ambrose Manaton, of Trecarrel, ob. 1651; Katherine (Trefusis), wife of Richard Killion esq. ob. 1666; Charity (Couch), wife of William Prowt, of Karnieke, ob. 1676; several members of the Couch family, 1666-77; and a number of memorials of modern date: in 1889 the church was thoroughly restored, with the exception of the west end and tower, at a cost of £2,500, under the direction of
Mr. George Fellowes Prynne, architect, and now affords 340 sittings. The register dates from the year 1656.