Parish Church of:
Stephen in Brannel, St
The church of St Stephen is a building of granite of the Early Decorated period, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, south porch, aisles and an embattled western tower, with octagonal crocketed pinnacles, containing a peal of 6 fine toned bells, of which the first four were cast in 1730 and the others in 1799; the arch of the south doorway is Norman, with nail head ornament; a piscine remains in the chancel, and some ancient carving is worked into the panelling of the pulpit and desk: the font is sculptured with grotesque animals and foliated ornaments: this church was the burial place of the Tanners, of Court, and here, in 1652, was interred Hugh Wolridge M.D. of the universities of Cambridge and Breda, and a native of Penkivell: the church was restored gradually but thoroughly from 1854 to 1871 at considerable cost and is now (1893) about to undergo further restoration at a cost of £1,500, under the direction of Mr Prynne, architect of Plymouth; the
mother church is St. Michael Caerhayes, from which St. Stephen's was separated in 1852; there are 650 sittings. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1694; burials, 1695.
St. George's mission church, opened in 1878, consists of apsidal chancel, nave and south aisle, with porch, vestry and a bell turret; the arcade separating the nave and aisle formerly belonged to the old church of ST Denis, on the removal of which the arches and piers wee brought hither by the lord of the manor in 1874, and remained standing in a field until their incorporation in the fabric of this church: the chancel windows are stained; an organ was erected in 1887 by public subscription in commemoration of the jubilee: the church will seat 150 persons.