Parish Church of:
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells, of 6 were re-cast and two added in 1778; the clock was placed in the tower in memory of the recovery of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales from his serious illness in 1871; on the perch is a sun dial: in the north aisle is a tomb with the effigy of a crusader, supposed to represent Sir Ranulph de Blancheminster, and at the east end of the north aisle is an altar tomb of black marble, with brass effigies of Sir John Arundell of Trerice, knt, ob. 25th November, 1561, his two wives, Mary (Bevyll) and Juliana (Eryssy), ob. March, 1567-8, and twelve children; the figure of the knight is in complete armour, the two wives are clad in furred and richly ornamented robes with long hanging slashed sleeves; over the effigies are two quartered
shields, between them two figures of children, one being a matrix only; below are ten others, and matrices of two shields; a marginal inscription surrounds the whole; the south window in the chancel is a memorial to the Rev. C.R. Holmes, a former vicar; at the west end of the south aisle is another memorial window to Edward Shearme esq. and there are six other stained windows; the circular font of Transition date is encircled with a cable moulding, and the benches are of carved oak: on the quoin of an ancient doorway (now blocked up) at the west end of the north aisle is carved the date 1160; the exterior walls of the aisle are Norman; the church was restored in 1878 and again in 1887-8, at a cost of £2,100, when the tower and roofs were renovated, the north arcade rebuilt, the chancel repaved, a carved oak screen and choir stalls erected, and the church repaired and re-seated, the old carved bench ends being retained: a new organ was presented by Miss King, of
Stratton, at a cost of £690, and a brass eagle lectern by Philip King esq, of Stratton: there are sittings for 400 persons. The register dates form the year 1687, and has an entry of the burial, March, 10th, 1691, of Elizabeth Cornish, widow, aged 113.