Parish Church of:
Thomas by Launceston, St
The church of St Thomas the Apostle, which occupies part of the site of the priory, is an ancient building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, south aisle, south porch, vestry and organ chamber on the north side and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells; there is an ancient and unusually large font of Polyphant stone , carved with figures of an oriental character; in the aisle are the remains of some ancient fresco paintings, representing the legend of St. Roque; the chancel retains a cinque-foil-headed piscina and a bracket; the church affords 260 sittings. The register dates from the year 1673, but the earlier portions are incomplete.
The mission church of St. Mary the Virgin, situated at Tregadillett, about 2 1/2 miles from the church, was erected in 1875, at a cost of £1,000, for the use of those who resided in that part of the parish; it consists of an apsidal chancel and nave, and is so arranged that, by means of a moveable partition , the nave is utilized as a school on weeks days.
Here was a priory of Austin canons, founded in 1170 by Robert Warlewast, Bishop of Exeter, and dedicated to St. Stephen; the site was partly occupied by the church of St. Thomas, and portions of the building have been incorporated with the fabric of that church, and also with adjacent houses; remains of the priory have also frequently been met with in neighbouring fields as well as stone coffins and part of human skeletons; the fine Norman doorway of the priory now served as an entrance to the White Hart Hotel.
- Where is St Thomas by Launceston ? -