Parish Church of:
Anciently called DUNDAGELL.
The church of St. Symphorian, standing on a hill overlooking the sea, about half a mile west of the village, is an ancient cruciform building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, nave, aisles, transepts, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower of three stages, containing 5 bells, dated respectively 1735, 1868, 1783, 1828 and 1868: several of the windows are stained, one being a memorial to John Douglas Cook esq, formerly editor of the "Saturday Review", who died 10th Aug. 1868, and is buried in the churchyard: there are others to Robert Jope Kinsman esq. and Susannah, his wife, d. 1855; Sarah Anne Radcliffe, d. 31st May, 1865, and Peter Radcliffe, d. 13th July 1868: in the south transept (but formerly in the chancel) is a stone coffin lid with a floriated cross, and above it the head of a priest only of a priest, and near it a brass with half effigy and inscription to Joan, the mother of John
Kelly, dean of the collegiate church of Crantock, near Padstow, to which he was appointed; January 16, 1430: on the south side of the chancel is a piscina and an Easter Sepulchre, inclosing a low raised tomb: on the north side is an aumbry; the reredos is formed out of ancient bench ends; the chapel, a work of the Transition period, retains its original stone altar, the upper slab bearing five crosses, and on each side are wall brackets; in the north transept, one of the windows exhibits a niche and a bracket, and here also is a hagioscope, now closed; the west and south sides and part of the east side of the south transept have a stone bench running along them; the early Norman font consists of a basin, square at the top but rounded below, supported on a cylindrical pedestal, and at the angles by octagonal shafts leaning outwards toward the base; the basin is ornamented with rude masks and figures of serpents; in the chancel are carved stall ends brought from St.
Teath, and in the nave others of Perpendicular date, carved with shields of arms, apparently those of Chamond, Hill and Trecarrell; there are various memorial tablets, including one to John Gill, vicar ob. 9th June, 1692, and others to Christopher Chilcott, ob. 29th Jan. 1676; Matthew Sweerser, vicar, ob. 28th July . 1644, and Joan Struate, ob. 1633: in th churchyard are numerous inscribed stones to the Avery, Arthur, Bray and Wade families: the communion plate includes a chalice of late 17th century date, with a paten cover: the church was restored in 1870, under the direction of Mr J.P. St. Aubyn, architect. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1569; marriages, 1558; burials 1546.