Parish Church of:
Tregony with Cuby
The church of St James, noted by Leland in 1533, has ceased to exist; one angle of the walls, however remained standing till 1740; of the castle which adjoined it not a vestige remains, and nothing is now to be seen except portions of the entrenchments on the banks of the river. The chapel of St. Anne, which in Lelands time stood in the middle of the town, was eventually converted into a cloth hall, but in 1777 became ruinous. The church at present used by the inhabitants is in Cuby Parish.
There was anciently here a Benedictine monastery, a cell of St. Marie Du Val at St. Anthony in Roseland, and afterwards at Merton, and dedicated to St. James.