Parish Church of:
The parish church of St. Petrock is an ancient building of stone , in the Transition Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with north transept or chapel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of three stages, diminishing towards the top and containing 3 bells, the first of which is undated; the other two were cast respectively in 1756 and 1773; the transeptal chapel retains a piscina and a hagioscope, and at the east end is a bracket; the walls are covered in ornamental work in colour of the 13th century; the font of local greenstone, is circular, and dates from the Norman period; there are some carved bench ends; the chancel has memorials to the Trehane family (1790-1842), and to James May, rector, d. Oct. 11, 1832; in the chapel is a monument to Samuel Roscarrock, ob.Dec. 1640; in 1893 two memorial windows were erected in the chancel and in the tower by members of the family of the late R. Bolitho Stephens esq, to
their parents; the church was restored in 1875 at a cost of £500, and has 90 sittings.; in the churchyard is a very ancient granite cross, 5 feet 8 inches high and 1 foot 4 inches wide, with a Greek cross on each side of the round head; here also are inscribed stones to William Laskey, rector, d. 20 Oct. 1793; to John Mitchell Wade, rector of Ashcombe and vicar of Barnstaple, d. 23 May, 1820 and to Wade, Rickard and Trehane families. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1538; marriages, 1539; burials, 1691.