Parish Church of:
Truro - St Mary
It was built between the years 1504 and 1518, in the Perpendicular style of that date and consists of seven bays; the communion table is that of the old church, and was the gift of George Phippen, rector, 1624-48, a modern piscina and credence of stone, have been added; the old organ built by Byfield in 1750 and subsequently enlarged, has been re-arranged and rebuilt on the south side of the aisle: the font from the old church, now placed here, is a work of Caen stone, profusely decorated with tracery and foliage: the east window of five lights is filled with stained glass comprising the emblems of the Evangelists, and shields emblazoned with the instruments of the Passion, together with appropriate texts; some of the other windows are memorials to Sarah Harvey, d. 1842; Louis Charles Danbuz, d. 1839, and Wilmot, his wife, d. 1814; and Humphrey Willyams, d. 1846; in the three westernmost windows are various fragments of ancient glass, with the inscription
“WILL’MO. 1548;” at the west end of the aisle is a newel staircase leading to the clock tower: the wagon roof of the aisle, substantially constructed of wood, has been carefully renovated.